Purpose of the job:
To act as a deputy to the Vice-Chancellor and to contribute to the overall strategic development of the University, with a particular strategic focus on enhancing the overall student life-cycle.
The main role of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor – Student Journey is to oversee the entire student life-cycle from initial marketing efforts, recruitment, registration, enrolment, progression, graduation and alumni engagement. The post holder must ensure seamless interaction, efficient operation and effective communication between the three Directorates of Marketing & Corporate Communication, Student Recruitment and Registry and Student Admissions.
- Supporting the Vice-Chancellor in establishing a reputation for excellence at Muscat University; advising the Vice-Chancellor on matters relating to the operations, administration, and finances of the University
- Ensuring that the relationship between the University‘s Senior Management Team and the Directors and Heads of administrative and support departments and centres is productive, open and mutually trusting
- Working with the Vice-Chancellor and other members of the senior leadership team to develop, enhance and deliver an excellent student experience
- Working with the Vice-Chancellor and other colleagues to achieve the objectives set out in the University strategic plan
- Leading on the ongoing refinement of the University’s marketing, recruitment and admissions policies for approval by the Vice-Chancellor and the Senior Management Team, enabling the University to enhance its profile and reputation for excellence
- Utilising University budgets to achieve the best possible results for the student experience
- Enhancing employability throughout the student experience ensuring students become professional, sought after graduates
- Ensuring students grow and develop while studying with the University to become well rounded citizens able to contribute as future world leaders in society
- Developing plans to engage alumni to become effective ambassadors for the University and facilitating ways for them to contribute to University life
- Developing short-term and long-range plans and budgets based upon the University’s strategic objectives for approval by the Vice-Chancellor; Senior Leadership Team and Board of Directors
- Regularly reviewing the University’s marketing, recruitment and admissions procedures and suggesting ways for improvement to ensure strategic objectives are met
- Working closely with University academic partners to strengthen the academic partnerships and ensure they are fully leveraged
- Directing the development and implementation of policies and procedures to promote communication and adequate information flow within the University
- Ensuring that all University activities and operations are performed in compliance with all Oman’s regulations and laws governing private university operations
- Being an effective ambassador for the University locally, regionally and internationally among senior leaders in both the public and private sectors
- Providing clear and collaborative leadership through example, inspiring the University to success through the successful application of its mission, vision and values in all its activities
- Maintaining and strengthening the University’s relationships with key strategic partners, including Government Agencies, international partners, and the local community including other academic institutions, leading businesses and other key organisations
- Ensuring that the University makes appropriate and effective use of digital technology to enable students, faculty and staff to enjoy the benefits of a 21st century learning environment
- Promoting an innovative culture within the University and thereby enhancing the student experience
- Supporting the University when necessary, to connect to the business and industry ecosystem in Oman, regionally and internationally.
- A clear track record of complete personal and professional integrity and of a commitment to equality and diversity at all levels
- A proven track record of excellence in collaborative leadership and management at a senior level and a keen awareness of the relationship of leadership and management to governance
- Direct experience and proven understanding of strategic planning, the management of staff, and of significant financial and other resources
- A deep appreciation of the value that meaningful student engagement brings to University life and a track record of working with students to deliver successful outcomes for students
- An understanding and appreciation of the student lifecycle model and how to use it to analyse and develop appropriate interventions to ensure student and graduate success
- An understanding of the nuances of student diversity and a proven ability to deal with students from varying backgrounds and cultures
- Strong leadership qualities and credibility, with the ability to maintain the respect and confidence of multiple stakeholders including faculty, staff and students;
- High-level strategic thinking, problem-solving and entrepreneurial skills
- Excellent ambassadorial skills enabling the building and maintaining of strong and productive relationships with external partners including senior members of international affiliate institutions and of major public and private sector organisations
- An excellent knowledge and understanding of international higher education policies, practices and norms and a commitment to internationalisation
- Experience of working in the Middle East and/or experience of working closely with partners from the Middle East region
- Experience of shaping a vision, mission and implementation plan for a new institution or unit within an institution and successfully delivering against strategic objectives
- Understanding of and a commitment to the delivery of a very high-quality student experience both inside and outside the classroom and to the achievement of high levels of graduate employability
- Understanding of and a commitment to the University’s aim to create and develop a high quality research agenda
- The ability to support the Vice-Chancellor in attracting, recruiting and retaining high quality faculty and staff to the University
- Excellent communication, presentation, negotiation, influencing and networking skills and a proven ability to engage and influence at a high level with multiple constituencies
- A strong belief in and commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Muscat University.
Education, Qualifications and Training
A PhD or equivalent doctoral qualification is essential. A recognized professional qualification in leadership and/or management is desirable. An excellent level of proficiency in English, both oral and written, is essential. Proficiency in Arabic would be an added bonus but is not essential.
Terms and Conditions
A competitive compensation package will be offered. This will include a basic salary at a competitive level. Additional benefits will include free housing, medical insurance, annual return flights for postholder and eligible family members to country of origin, and education allowances for eligible children.
Annual leave entitlement will be 30 days plus private sector national holidays applicable in Oman.
For a full job description and discussion about this role please contact Chris Boote on email@example.com or by phone on 02476575004. Alternatively to apply please send a CV and Covering Letter tailored to the role to the email address and we will make arrangements to call any applicants.