Warwick Conferences are part of a diverse portfolio of commercial businesses at The University of Warwick. Award winning and market leading, Warwick Conferences boasts 4 diverse conference venues: Arden, Radcliffe, Scarman, and The Slate. With over 130 meeting spaces, 479 bedrooms and the ability to hold meetings for up to 400 people the Training and Conference Centres are a 7 day a week, 24 hour day operation that offers breakfast, lunch, dinner, bars, and delivered catering. Our service styles run from a sandwich lunch for 2 people to a gala banquet for 400 and everything in between… we even have a food truck that travels the country showcasing our food offering to prospective clients.
We are looking for a fresh-thinking and pro-active Food and Beverage Service Manager, who puts customer service at the forefront, to lead the Restaurant and Bars team across three of the venues: Radcliffe, Scarman, and the Slate. The department operates as a single team that can have over 80 members including agency staff so you will need extensive experience of managing a large and diverse team across multiple sites. You will have a proven record of product development and ensuring high standards of service, whilst still controlling costs, in a hospitality environment.
Working across Radcliffe, Scarman, and the Slate the role holder will be expected to:
- Control and manage all aspects of Food & Beverage Service departments
- Set and maintain Food & Beverage Service standards with the Heads of Departments
- Achieve high level customer satisfaction within all Food & Beverage Service departments
- Set and control all Food & Beverage Service budgets.
- Manage refurbishment projects in Food & Beverage Service areas
- Develop Food & Beverage offer across Radcliffe, Scarman, and the Slate
- To lead and manage the day to day operations of the Food & Beverage Service departments and achieve high levels of customer satisfaction at all times; motivating direct reports to ensure that a high level of customer service is achieved.
- To work in partnership with kitchen teams across the 2 centres to ensure the highest quality food is served at all times; including menu design, food presentation and service specification.
- Actively seek customer feedback, monitor and evaluate data, remedy service issues where possible.
- To ensure that regular Food & Beverage Service meetings take place to review operational requirements in each centre; taking responsibility for ensuring that all action points are articulated and carried out by other managers or employees
- To Deputise for the Operations Manager when away from the business; focus on Food & Beverage Service operations; however, where necessary to deputise for the Front of House Manager’s operation as well.
- To support the Operations Manager, with maintenance and refurbishment projects on smaller projects taking the lead and assuming responsibility for completion in a timely manner, as appropriate.
Areas of Responsibility:
Restaurants – 1 x main (220) 3 x private (75, 30, 24)
Bar – Bar menu available 07:00-22:00, 24hr room service menu
Coffee Lounge – 1 main lounge, inclusive tea and coffee available to guests 24hr, inclusive snacks available 08:00-18:00
Bedrooms – 204
Meetings Space – 12 large, 40 small, 1 tiered lecture theatre for 120
Restaurants – 1 main (210), 2 x private (65, 20)
Bar – Bar menu available 07:00-22:00, 24hr room service menu
Coffee Lounge – 1 main lounge, 2 smaller, inclusive tea and coffee available to guests 24hr, inclusive snacks available 08:00-18:00
Bedrooms – 154
Meeting Space – 11 large, 32 small
Available for exclusive use only
Meeting capacity up to 350, dining capacity up to 400
Capable of providing external catering on campus or across the country
- As Duty Manager, take full responsibility for a centre and its guests, dealing speedily and efficiently with any situation that may arise. For example, problems with service delivery, staff issues, equipment problems, guests’ welfare, fire evacuations, flood; these issues can take place at any time of day.
- Anticipating guests’ needs and deploying appropriate resource to ensure service excellence is a key aspect of Duty Management.
- As and where necessary flex the workforce to meet the changing needs of the centres for that period of cover; liaising with other Duty Managers at that time ,and if necessary, utilising employees from other centres if necessary.
To be responsible for the Management and overseeing of the Food & Beverage Service staffing levels, rotas and costs; this includes:
- Taking the lead on the recruitment of junior management staff and ensuring that other recruitment across the centres is carried out in line with University policies and procedures,
- Ensuring that induction and appropriate department training is carried out across the three centres,
- Responsible for ensuring that appraisals are carried out for all staff across the three centres
- Where appropriate act as an Investigating Officer in absence management, disciplinary and other cases for staff up to level 6 and above as they arise; interviewing employees and collating a report for consideration by senior managers
- Following investigations undertaken by other managers, assume the responsibility of Head of Department and Chair hearings; making a decision on the outcome following consideration of supporting documentation and any mitigating evidence provided on the day
- To be accountable for compliance with University and Training & Conference Centres policies/ procedures; ensuring compliance with HR procedures, employment law, food safety and health and safety legislation.
To have responsibility for the continuous improvements to services and facilities.
- Prepare and present proposals to the Operations Manager and deliver changes in an appropriate manner when approved.
- Set all standards, policies and procedures for Food & Beverage Service areas; ensuring that they are communicated.
- Ensure continuous review and recording of standards and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Control the set standards and check they are maintained and updated.
- Ensure all procedures comply with health and safety and University policies
To be responsible for preparing and forecasting Food & Beverage Service costs to feed into the 5 year plan for the three centres.
- Operationally, to have responsibility for overseeing and effectively managing budgeted expenses and projects spend with the Food & Beverage Service areas.
Health and Safety
To have responsibility for Health and Safety for all staff and guests in the three centres whilst acting as Duty Manager and on-going health and safety in all Food and Beverage areas.
- Working in partnership with Head Chefs and Health and Safety Officer, where appropriate, to ensure that SOPs and Food Safety Manual are reviewed, updated and all procedures followed.
- Keep accurate up to date health and safety records, including risk assessments, accidents, COSHH, Riddors and staff training.
For further details please contact Chris Boote on 02476575004 or send a CV and Covering Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can then arrange for a call about the role.