Warwick Conferences is part of a diverse portfolio of commercial businesses at The University of Warwick. Award winning and market leading, Warwick Conferences boasts four market leading conference centres: Arden, Radcliffe, Scarman and The Slate. Incorporating over 130 meeting spaces, 479 bedrooms and with a capacity to host events up to 400 people.
We’re looking for a switched-on and pro-active Operations Manager, who puts customer service at the forefront, and will lead on the exceptional service delivery as well as the day to day operations of three venues: Radcliffe, Scarman and The Slate. A pivotal part of this role is to manage a team in excess of 75 in addition to agency staff. You will need to be customer focussed and service driven with extensive experience in a large quality venue, operating across multiple sites. You will have a proven track record in managing people, taking financial responsibility whilst developing products and standards in a hospitality environment.
This is an exciting time to join our team with significant growth ahead, so we are looking for an individual who can focus on key projects whilst leading the team to deliver excellent results.
To manage and oversee the day to day operational running of the centres, including Food and Beverage and Front of House operations.
To ensure all standards of service are maintained to a high level to achieve optimum returns to the University.
To manage all staff within the department to ensure smooth running of the centres.
- To formulate in conjunction with the Head of Conference Centres, business objectives on an annual basis
- To lead and manage the staff within the department, ensuring a high quality service to all customers.
- To establish and maintain the culture of the business, ensuring a motivated, skilled and customer focused human resource with low staff turnover and low absence levels.
- To manage refurbishment projects in conjunction with appropriate University Departments as directed by the Head of Conference Centres
- To ensure all standard operating procedures are in place and that all staff are aware of the tasks required and the standard to be reached.
- To deputise for the Head of Conference Centres in their absence
- To ensure there is duty management cover of the operation at all times
- To ensure there is regular communication with management/heads of department in order to discuss key operational issues and plans
- To have responsibility for the continuous improvements to services and facilities.
- Prepare and present proposals to the Head of Conference Centres and deliver changes in an appropriate manner when approved.
- Ensure continuous review and recording of standards and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Control the set standards and check they are maintained and updated.
- Ensure all procedures comply with health and safety and University policies
- As Duty Manager, take full responsibility for a centre and its guests, dealing speedily and efficiently with any situation that may arise. For example, problems with service delivery, staff issues, equipment problems, guests’ welfare, fire evacuations, flood; these issues can take place at any time of day.
- Anticipating guests’ needs and deploying appropriate resource to ensure service excellence is a key aspect of Duty Management.
- As and where necessary flex the workforce to meet the changing needs of the centres for that period of cover; liaising with other Duty Managers at that time ,and if necessary, utilising employees from other centres if necessary.
- To be responsible for the Management and overseeing of staffing levels, rotas and costs; this includes:
- Taking the lead on the recruitment of management staff and ensuring that other recruitment across the centres is carried out in line with University policies and procedures,
- Ensuring that induction and appropriate department training is carried out across the centres,
- Responsible for ensuring that appraisals are carried out for all staff across the centres
- Where appropriate act as an Investigating Officer in absence management, disciplinary and other cases for staff up to level 6 and above as they arise; interviewing employees and collating a report for consideration by senior managers
- Following investigations undertaken by other managers, assume the responsibility of Head of Department and Chair hearings; making a decision on the outcome following consideration of supporting documentation and any mitigating evidence provided on the day
- To be accountable for compliance with University and Training & Conference Centres policies/ procedures; ensuring compliance with HR procedures, employment law, food safety and health and safety legislation.
- To aid the Head of Conference Centres in producing and presenting the annual Five Year Financial plan for approval by the University.
- To set and monitor budgets in conjunction with the Head of Conference Centres
- To monitor the performance of the business on a monthly basis using management accounts and KPI’s
- To have overall responsibility for Food & Beverage gross profits and wage costs in conjunction with the Food & Beverage Manager & Head of Food
- Take action to rectify negative variances and trends.
- To set and monitor the Front of House and Catering project spends
- To monitor and agree all purchases through the University finance system
- To monitor staff salaries/overtime
Health and Safety
- To have responsibility for Health and Safety for all staff and guests in the centres and on-going health and safety in all areas.
- Working in partnership with Head of Food and Facilities Manager, where appropriate, to ensure that SOPs and Food Safety Manual are reviewed, updated and all procedures followed.
- Keep accurate up to date health and safety records, including risk assessments, accidents, COSHH, Riddors and staff training.
- To ensure that all relevant procedures and legislation are in compliance with licensing, food hygiene, health and safety, and employment law.
For a full job description and discussion about this role please contact Chris Boote on email@example.com or by phone on 02476575004. Alternatively to apply please send a CV and Covering Letter tailored to the role to the email address and we will make arrangements to call any applicants