|POST TITLE:||Assistant Commercial Manager|
|SUB-DEPARTMENT||Programme Office Team|
|POST RESPONSIBLE TO:||Commercial Manager|
|SALARY||FA 6 £29,799 – £38,833|
|CLOSING DATE:||20th October 2017|
To assist and support the Commercial Manager with the development and provision of cost management services for the Estates project office.
To assist and support the Commercial Manager with providing a full cost management service to internally resourced projects including feasibility assessment, preconstruction and construction phase cost management service.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the provision of cost management services into the Estates project organisation:
- Provide early stage cost advice and development appraisals on numerous new build, refurbishment, major maintenance and infrastructure projects.
- Undertake feasibility cost studies based on designs received from in house design teams and external consultants. Provide clear accurate cost information resulting from studies into the University business case process.
- Develop and maintain a process for the assessment of lifecycle costs from the inception through to completion of projects
- Prepare contracts with internal and external consultants to ensure contract forms/terms are included in all projects for approval by the Commercial Manager. Where appropriate consulting with the University’s in house legal team and instructing solicitors to obtain specialist legal advice. Ensure all contracts are executed in a timely manner and communicating key contract terms to appropriate stakeholders within the University.
- In support of Project Managers and the Commercial Manager provide a peer review process to ensure value for money is obtained during the progress of major projects.
- In support of the Estates Department assist in the development of good practice guides and University design standards, challenge requirements and propose solutions to ensure value for money is achieved.
- To support the Commercial Manager’s liaison with the Estates Purchasing Manager develop and maintain strategies for the efficient procurement of professional services and construction activities to comply with Legislation and University Procedures and ensure best value.
- In support of the Head of Finance and Administration and the Finance Manager and accountable to the Commercial Manager provide construction cost advice into the Capital and Revenue 5 year planning process including building cost models to support bids.
- To support the Commercial Manager with the provision of cost related technical guidance to the team and other Estates personnel.
- To support the Commercial Manager in the establishment, development and maintenance in conjunction with framework suppliers and the Design Service Manager a system of KPI’s to monitor and assess performance of framework suppliers.
- Take on any other tasks for requests as required by the Commercial Manager, commensurate with the role.
POST TITLE: Assistant Commercial Manager
DEPARTMENT: Estates – Programme Office Team
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively.
The post holder must be able to demonstrate:
DESIRABLE (D) REQUIREMENTS
a) application form
|A construction related first degree or equivalent professional qualification in Quantity Surveying or working towards the achievement of the qualification.||E||(a)|
|A professional membership of, or working towards the professional membership of an appropriate professional body (e.g. RICS or CIOB).||E||(a)|
|Experience of Cost Management and Quantity Surveying.||D||(a) (c)|
|A working knowledge of the delivery of projects within a Higher Education environment.||D||(a) (c)|
|Competency in the use of construction contracts and their administration.||D||(a) (c)|
|Demonstrable knowledge of construction procurement and contract administration||E||(a) (c) (d)|
|Knowledge of construction technology, building design and specification (including National Building Specification (NBS))||E||(a) (c)|
|An understanding of Construction legislation and Health and Safety as client and designer||E||(a) (c)|
|Demonstrable knowledge of cost management, including life cycle cost assessment, value management and value
|E||(a) (c) (d)|
|Knowledge of building services and controls systems||D||(a) (c)|
|A competent user of the Microsoft Office suite (including Excel and Word)||E||(a) (c)|
|An understanding of IT based estimating systems including BCIS online and other widely used industry packages||E||(a) (c)|
|Strong working knowledge of the construction process underpinned with experience in Quantity Surveying.||E||(a) (c)|
|Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, with the ability to develop strong working relationships.||E||(a) (c)|
|Commitment to continuing professional development.||E||(a) (c)|
If you feel you meet the requirements listed above please apply with your CV and covering letter or call Kaye Matthews confidentially on 02476528936