Department: School of Design and Media
Job role: Assistant Professor
Mode: Permanent, full time
To lead teaching, curriculum development and course management in Academic English, supporting students across all disciplines.
All role holders at this level will have a national reputation in their field which they will continue to develop. They will contribute to a combination of teaching and/or scholarship and/or research and/or enterprise, along with academic leadership and management academic English modules. The post holder will be expected to develop new concepts, ideas and collaborations at an institutional and national level. They will develop and win funding for innovative research and/or teaching development and/or commercial activity. They will contribute to a global academic community driven by international scholarly activity, international knowledge generation, knowledge exchange, networking, partnerships and collaboration.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for the development and delivery of teaching, learning and assessment. This can include substantial responsibility for the design, enhancement and organisation of teaching and learning, for curriculum development, or for the student experience more broadly e.g. as year tutor or course director.
- To demonstrate innovative approaches to teaching and support for students through the use of a wide range of learning resources and appropriate pedagogic practice.
- To ensure that the teaching is informed by contemporary research in the relevant field and develops the ability of students to engage in debate, critical discourse and rational thinking.
- To ensure that students have an effective learning experience by providing high quality academic guidance and advice, which enhances their employability.
- To reflect critically on teaching practice, implement improvements, disseminate good practice effectively to others; contribute to quality monitoring and enhancement and to professional accreditation processes as required.
- To undertake work with a range of external partners and professional bodies/agencies in Egypt and overseas.
- To contribute to the promotion and external profile of the University and adopt a customer/client-focused approach where appropriate.
- To work effectively as a team member, chairing committees and working groups, and where appropriate supervising or mentoring other members of staff.
- To undertake professional development in support of teaching and research, and if appropriate in support of student welfare and curriculum management.
AND such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job purpose, the title of the post and its grading.
Head of School.
Assistant Lecturers, Instructors, Lecturers.
|Education/Qualifications||A good Honours Degree in an appropriate Art, Design and/or Media subject (and/or Masters degree).
Detailed understanding and knowledge of academic theory and/or practice in the teaching of Academic English.
PhD in an appropriate subject
|Active membership or fellowship of a professional body
Recognised teaching qualification
|Experience||Recent teaching experience at higher education level with evidence of successful student learning outcomes
Evidence of good/innovative pedagogic practice
Extensive experience and national profile in subject/discipline
Or (If from Professional practice background) evidence of high quality presentation skills, and evidence of coaching, or mentoring and teaching other professionals
Willingness to undertake a teaching qualification (if not already qualified)
|Evidence of contribution to the wider student experience e.g. in recruitment/retention initiatives, in employability/ enterprise initiatives, student welfare
Experience with Egyptian and/or international higher educational establishments
|Research||A growing research profile.
Active researcher supported by evidence of publications or other appropriate output
Evidence of contribution to research group or network or community of practice
Or (If from Professional practice background) experience of leading- edge professional practice/consultancy work including evidence of effective application of solutions to business/practice problems, with associated reports or other outputs
|Experience of partnership working with external organisations
Evidence of securing and/or delivering externally funded projects or contracts
Recent, relevant, business experience
|Job-related skills and capabilities||Ability to work independently, to take the initiative, and to innovate
Ability to identify and secure opportunities for development of the School/University
Commitment to delivering high quality services to students and external clients
Good organisational and management skills
Suitable level of proficiency in ICT and understanding of its application to teaching, learning and applied research
Ability to demonstrate adherence to regulations regarding ethics, governance, social responsibility, legal requirements, IPR, copyright, attribution and co-authorship and appropriate practice
Ability to support the development and delivery of professional learning and development programmes and contribute to other commercial activity associated with teaching,
Ability to develop and maintain successful external and internal networks to seed relationships for future business collaborations,
Ability to contribute to the development and delivery of transnational education partnerships and international commercial projects
A demonstrable appreciation of other cultures; the global reach of the University and its International agenda
|Evidence of successful external networking and profile-raising
Some administrative and organisational experience, related to academic development or equivalent if from non-academic background
Experience of process and systems improvement
Evidence of disseminating own ‘good practice’ effectively to others and of taking up ‘good practice’ from other sources into own work
|Interpersonal Skills||Effective oral and written communication skills in both individual and group situations
Ability to lead, and work as a member of, a team or group
Ability to relate to students with diverse backgrounds, ages and experience
Ability to relate to a range of external clients and partners of the university from the private/public/voluntary sectors
|Experience of mentoring or supporting more junior or less experienced colleagues|
|Other Requirements||Willingness to undertake academic activities in the evening when necessary, and participate in occasional weekend activities such as recruitment days
Excellent English skills, both written and oral.
A willingness to travel local, nationally and internationally as required to undertake academic and related activities.
|Experience of working abroad or working in partnership with organisations overseas
Work experience in Egypt or neighbouring countries
Competence in more than one language
Knowledge of Arabic
For more information please feel free to call Chris Boote on 02476575004 or to make an application, please send a CV and Cover Letter tailored to the role by email to email@example.com