Vacancy Type/Job category: Management & Professional
Sub Department: Departmental Services Team, (PSG)
Salary: £41,526 – £49,553 per annum + £5,000 market supplement per annum
Location: University of Warwick, Coventry
Full time (36.5 hours per week)
The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s great success stories. In less than 50 years since being founded we have become one of the country’s best universities, consistently in the top 10 of UK league tables and rapidly climbing the international rankings of world class universities. With a reputation for entrepreneurial spirit and group turnover in excess of £600m the University offers exciting career opportunities for accountants.
This opportunity sits within the Departmental Services Team (DST) – Professional Services Group (PSG), which as part of the Professional Services Strategic Review will also include reporting from IT Services (ITS) and Print Services departments, and the new FA7 Finance Manager post will act as Primary Finance Contact for these areas.
The role will receive financial forecasts from operational staff within ITS/ Print Services but will also need to manage the overall management reporting/ budgeting and forecasting and other associated Primary Finance Contact responsibilities for both departments and undertake all liaison on the capital plan; the role will also have dotted line responsibility for a member of ITS.
ITS is a key area of the Chief Information & Digital Officer (CIDO) Group and the successful applicant will have the opportunity to help shape this department within the overall CIDO Group. The role is being offered at 1.0 FTE (part time at 0.9 FTE would be considered) with a specific remit to sense check and advise on the size and shape of the role.
A £5,000 per annum market supplement (pro-rated and non-pensionable) is available for the successful applicant on provision of proof of current membership of an approved accounting body and evidence they hold the appropriate accountancy qualifications.
To provide accurate and timely management information to senior University management, Chairs of academic departments, Heads of administrative departments, Directors of commercial activities and for inclusion in reports to external government bodies, in order to aid planning, control and decision-making, especially in the deployment of University resources.
DUITES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- To be responsible for the preparation of financial information for academic and administrative departments and commercial activities, including financial accounts if applicable, management accounts, reports to committees, budgets, five-year plans, cash flow forecasts and project assessments.
- To assist in the preparation and review of the University group’s management and statutory accounts and five-year plans.
- To provide financial advice and information to Heads of Departments, other academic members of staff and managers of a wide variety of departments.
- Special projects, usually involving preparing full business plans and critically appraising such new ventures.
- To offer constructive criticism, advice and counsel on a variety of financial matters, including possibly pricing policy, market analysis, business risk and performance indicators.
- To service Boards or University committees, including the preparation of agenda, minutes and papers on issues requiring decisions.
- Contract review and appraisal to ensure compliance with University procedures, best practice and commercial application.
- Routine work and ad hoc assignments as required.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required
to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1
Recognised accountancy qualification (a)
Essential Criteria 2
Broad experience within a finance function, including preparing business plans (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 3
Good experience of using IT systems (SAP experience desirable) (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 4
Good communication and presentational skills (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 5
Substantial experience of management accounting as well as statutory accounts preparation (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 6
Good Excel spreadsheet skills (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 7
Sound knowledge of accounting standards and good overall technical awareness (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 8
Sound knowledge of VAT and corporation tax (a)(c)
Essential Criteria 9
Ability to critically evaluate new business opportunities (a)(c)
Desirable Criteria 1
Experience of costing (a)(c)
Desirable Criteria 2
First degree (or equivalent) (a)(c)
The University of Warwick has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign, please apply below by uploading your CV & Cover Letter. Alternatively, you can call Chris Boote on 07823524581 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential conversation.