The University of Warwick’s Flexible & Online Learning Division is seeking to recruit a Head of Digital Learning.
This is a great opportunity to lead the Digital Learning team to expand the University’s Digital Learning Ecosystem, including blended, online and hybrid provision, supporting the University’s strategic goal to grow online and flexible programmes.
The successful candidate will lead the Digital Learning team in providing support, guidance, and consultancy in the effective design, development and delivery of learning content and assessments, and in the use of technology to enhance teaching and learning at Warwick.
This is a new position that has been formed, following the first phase of a review of the University’s digital learning strategy, focusing on blended and online provision. This is an exciting time to be joining and leading a team, making a pivotal role in modernisation of both the curriculum and its delivery.
Key duties and responsibilities
Working with stakeholders including students, academic departments and the Information and Digital Group, the Head of Digital learning will develop and maintain a modern, high-quality digital learning ecosystem, that remains up-to-date and meets the needs of staff and students.
With around ten direct line reports, the Head of Digital learning will be responsible for leading and supporting colleagues, providing both strategic and ‘hands on’ support to staff.
Education, qualifications and experience
Educated to degree level or equivalent, or with professional experience in a relevant area, the ideal candidate will have experience of instructional/learning design, and selecting, implementing, and supporting tools that enhance teaching and learning and enable the delivery of a wide range of academic programmes.
Applicants should have substantial experience of technology enhanced teaching and learning in Higher Education from both pedagogical and technological perspectives, as well as excellent leadership and person management skills, team working skills and the ability to develop effective teams.
The University offers a wide range of learning and development opportunities, and will work with the appointee to support career development. Benefits include an attractive pension scheme, a generous annual leave entitlement including Christmas closure, family friendly policies, and discounted Warwick Sport membership
Duties and Responsibilities
- To lead the development and implementation of the digital learning and assessment strategy, and to ensure that it is aligned with the wider vision and strategy of the Flexible and Online Learning Division, the Education Group, and the Education Strategy.
- To lead the teams responsible for guiding academic staff on the appropriate use of instructional design and education technologies to enhance learning and assessment, ensuring that our courses have the optimum blend of online and face-to-face provision to best deliver the learning objectives
- To work with stakeholders including students, academic departments and the Information and Digital Group, to develop and maintain a modern, high-quality digital learning environment, that remains up-to-date and meets the needs of staff and students
- To lead the Digital Learning team, having accountability for responsible Human Resources practices across the team, including:
- Recruitment and selection
- Resource deployment
- Performance management
- Absence management
- Staff development
- To expand the University’s digital learning and assessment provision into new areas, working across various stakeholders to meet the key performance indicators defined by the University’s senior management teams.
- To be an active member of the Flexible and Online Learning divisional executive team, and contribute to the development of the Division’s five-year plan and targets
- To manage financial and other resources with probity and integrity, directing resource to best effect, evaluating existing provision and anticipating future needs, making appropriate budgetary provision.
- To represent the University at appropriate external fora, and to raise the profile of Warwick as a provider of digital education
- To chair, service and/or attend University-level committees, working groups and ad hoc task-and-finish groups
- Any other duties commensurate with the level of responsibility as determined by the Director of Flexible and Online Learning
- Educated to degree level or equivalent, or has professional experience in a relevant area
- Experience of delivering and implementing services that support the strategic direction of an organisation, preferably education.
- Experience of leading, developing and delivering services that enhance teaching and learning.
- Experience of selecting, implementing, and supporting tools that enhance teaching and learning and enable the delivery of a wide range of academic programmes.
- Experience of working with a diverse range of stakeholders at all levels.
- Substantial experience of the technologies commonly used to support teaching and learning in Higher Education.
- Familiarity with the development lifecycle for educational content, and instructional design principles.
- Excellent leadership and person management skills, team working skills and the ability to develop effective teams.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills and the ability to interact effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to work under own initiative and to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills, confident and persuasive communicator with the ability to influence senior stakeholders
- The flexibility and aptitude to further develop skills as required by the position.
- AdvanceHE Fellowship (FHEA), CMALT or other relevant qualifications such as in Instructional Design.
- Experience of working in higher education.
- Familiarity with project management methodologies.
The University of Warwick has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign; please apply below by submitting a CV & Cover Letter in Word Document format , or you can also email your documents to email@example.com ; or call Jayne Reilly on 07823524581 for a confidential conversation.