The University Finance Office is seeking to appoint a departmental Head of Finance to support Warwick Medical School. Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer (WMS), you will help the School to achieve its strategic objectives by providing high quality financial advice across all Departmental activities and ensuring sound financial management and control.
We are looking for a qualified accountant with significant post qualification experience of working within an accounts function and at a senior management level. Excellent communication skills will be key to succeeding in this role. This includes the ability to communicate financial information successfully to a diversity of audiences, to build effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders and to lead the WMS finance team, creating a culture of excellence and ensuring financial compliance whilst providing expert support. You will be able to take a strategic perspective and apply commercial awareness to provide advice and challenge across all School activities and initiatives.
You will be responsible for completing the WMS five year financial plan, quarterly and annual reporting, analysis and forecasting, and the provision of appropriate management information on a regular basis. You will have excellent spreadsheet skills and experience of large-scale financial management systems, and you will have a track record of delivering to strict deadlines. Prior knowledge and experience of Higher Education finance is desirable.
Established in 2000, Warwick Medical School (WMS) is home to the UK’s largest graduate-entry MB ChB programme. WMS also offers opportunities for undergraduate study, full and part-time research degrees as well as professional development across the healthcare sector. Alongside a range of educational opportunities, WMS has a reputation for research excellence, investigating solutions to significant global health challenges. For more information, see here
The University Finance Office works with all Departments in the University to ensure that the University maintains its reputation for financial integrity and reliability. We support business planning and innovation to maximise the financial resources available to the University and create the long-term sustainable financial platform required for future growth. See Further Particulars for more information.
Finance Office staff across the University are networked as a professional community of expertise. You will be supported to continue your professional journey through access to Continuing Professional Development training opportunities, sector networks and regular Finance Office briefings. As a member of staff at Warwick you can enjoy a wide range of competitive benefits. The University also offers a wide range of learning and development opportunities, and we will work with you to support your career development. We respect and reward achievement and recognise the importance of a flexible total reward package. Take a look at the benefits we offer here including an attractive pension scheme, a generous annual leave entitlement including Christmas closure, family friendly policies, and discounted Warwick Sport membership.
A £5,000 per annum market supplement (pro-rated and non-pensionable) is available for the successful applicant on provision of proof of current membership of an approved accounting body and evidence they hold the appropriate accountancy qualifications.
To support the achievement of Departmental strategic objectives through sound financial management and control and the provision of high quality financial advice across all Departmental activities.
Duties and responsibilities
1) To be responsible for the provision of complete, accurate and timely departmental financial information in consultation with the CFO, senior team and budget holders, including completing the five year financial plan, quarterly and annual reporting, analysis and forecasting, and the provision of appropriate management information on a regular basis.
2) To provide expert support, advice and challenge on the development of strategic initiatives business plans and contracts, working constructively with a range of internal and external stakeholders to support the achievement of the department’s strategic objectives and financial targets whilst managing commercial and financial risk.
3) To be responsible for the effective and efficient operation of the finance team within the department, creating a culture of excellence and a commitment to continuous improvement.
4) To oversee day to day financial operations, maximising revenue recovery, the achievement of value for money and cost recovery, liaising with external stakeholders as required.
5) To ensure departmental compliance with the University’s financial regulations and procedures and funder terms and conditions, including maintaining financial control, compliant audit records and promoting good practice including through training and communication.
6) To establish and maintain effective working relationships with the University’s central finance office and other departmental finance colleagues, sharing and promoting best practice.
7) To undertake such other duties as may be required by the CFO, or by the Group Finance Director or their representative.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1
Educated to degree level or equivalent experience (a)
Essential Criteria 2
A recognised accountancy qualification and current professional body membership (CCAB or CIMA). Demonstrable commitment to continuing professional development. (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 3
Significant post qualification experience of working within an accounts function and working at a senior management level (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 4
Experience of costing, pricing & evaluating and negotiating business proposals and contracts (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 5
Experience of IT systems, with excellent spreadsheet skills and experience of large-scale financial management systems (ideally SAP) (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 6
Significant experience of assessing and implementing financial control and other systems (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 7
Experience of leading, managing and influencing teams (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 8
Excellent communication & interpersonal skills, both in writing and orally, to a diverse set of audiences, including senior management & lay board members (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 9
Ability to build highly effective relationships with both internal and external stakeholders (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 10
Strong organisational skills with proven record of ability to manage own time and deliver to strict deadlines (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 11
Strategic perspective with the ability to maintain a very clear understanding of multi-faceted financial issues (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 12
Strong analytical, problem-solving and project management skills and the ability to manage change (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 13
Commercial awareness and the ability to analyse and assess new opportunities, identifying and managing risk (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 14
Excellent working knowledge of UK and international accounting standards (SSAPs, FRSs and IFRS) (a), (c)
Desirable Criteria 1
Working knowledge of the Universities’ SORP (a), (c)
Desirable Criteria 2
Knowledge and experience of the HE sector, in particular university finances, including research finance, FEC costing and tax (a), (c)
The University of Warwick has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign, please apply below by sending your Application Form (download below), CV & Cover Letter in Word Document format to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 07823 524581 for a confidential conversation.Application Form