Improving on excellence is a tough job for anyone. That’s why we’re not simply looking for anyone. We’re looking for you.
The Head of Maintenance Services is an essential appointment to ensure the efficient and effective delivery of day to day, routine planned and statutory maintenance function, including providing an emergency reactive service for all building disciplines across all University operated properties.
It is an exciting time for Warwick as reaches its 51st year as it embarks on a significant ten-year capital investment programme, in the order of £1 billion. The role will need to assess the future needs of the maintenance department and develop a professional team to deliver an excellent service, comply with legislation and manage building and facility assets effectively and efficiently. The University has bold ambitions and a desire to grow and develop to provide world class modern educational and research environments for students to gain a positive foundation and enable them to become global citizens of the future.
Responsibilities for this post include:
- Review, design and implement new systems and new working practices (using benchmarking data and competitor analysis) to ensure a cost effective, customer focussed, operationally effective, and safe service delivery organisation which is fit for purpose for an ever developing, technical and expanding campus.
- Management of the delivery of all “Hard FM (Facilities Management)” services to the University operated buildings including; Plumbing, Joinery, Building Fabric, Mechanical and Electrical Building Services, maintenance and maintenance of external paths and roads. Including the management of the University BEMS (Building Energy Management System) and Combined Heat and Power engines (CHP) to optimise the generation and distribution of electricity, heating, cooling and ventilation across the campus.
- Lead and manage a large in house labour force, including recruitment, training & development and discipline. Instilling a high performing and supportive, and safe culture across the department.
- Development of maintenance policies and systems to deliver a quality, efficient, effective service whilst ensuring value for money, and safety compliance of the works undertaken, by in house and external specialist consultants/contractors.
Effective management of maintenance requirements across the University, whether undertaken by in house or external specialist maintenance staff, delivery of the external contracts.
- Management of the delivery of the prescribed statutory and routine, planned maintenance.
- Compilation of financial business cases in support of additional resources for Campus expansion / contraction as required.
- Planning and developing in conjunction with financial teams, in particular in the compilation of forward maintenance plans for future years and advising on the condition of the Campus.
- Implement and monitor the delivery of the service through Key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Taking on other duties in support of the role and other University requirements as prescribed by the Director of Estates.
Required skills and experience:
- A degree probably in Building Services or equivalent experience
- National Examination Board Health and Safety Certificate (NEBOSHH).
- A Post graduate qualification in a related subject (desirable)
- Broad spectrum of knowledge in Building Service Management.
- Significant related experience at a senior level.
- Significant experience and background in hard FM
- Ability to design and implement significant change and reorganisation programmes in a unionised environment
- Ability to horizon scan and drive for continuous improvement by focussing on the development and implementation of new working practices and new systems to drive and improve performance, standards, quality and customer feedback.
- Ability to lead, inspire and motivate a large team to successful performance.
- Ability to plan, strategically manage, organize complex services operations that are performance and date critical.
- Ability to analyse and resolve operational problems and emergencies.
- Personal qualities: decisive, assertive, ability to delegate, time management, presentations skills, self-motivated.
- Ability to work as part of a senior team with conflicting priorities.
- Excellent oral and written communication, negotiating and influencing skills.
- Be environmentally aware and be interested in driving the improvement of the University environmental credentials.
- A wide technical background covering the key areas of the services being managed.
- Experience of contractual management.
- Ability to deliver technical, financial and budgetary reports.
- A proven track record in HR management and people development.
- Detailed H&S background and evidence of improving the H&S culture in an organisation.
- Proven experience of managing multi million pound budgets.