The University of Warwick is looking for a Head of Software Engineering, to join the Enterprise Application Group.
- To manage and provide leadership to an IDG Software Engineering (SE) team, working closely with University and IDG Product Managers to develop new and improve existing services aligned with product roadmaps.
- As needed integrate and manage third party suppliers as part of the SE team ensure they operate effectively and in-line with the team’s development practices.
- Own the Software Engineering development process and methodology
- Own the quality of the work delivered by the team
- Act as the contact point for customers of the Software Engineering including Product Owners and Project Managers
Duties and Responsibilities
Lead the SE Development function
- Lead the SE Development function, including Software Developers, UX Designers, Testers and other members of the team
- Collaborate closely with IDG Product and Projects managers to turn Product roadmap into software development release schedules
- Assign development tasks to team members and ensure that they are delivered at appropriate pace and quality
- Work as directed by IDG Directors and undertake other duties that are commensurate with the scope and level of the role.
- Manage the development and training of staff in the team, ensuring that their skills remain current and develop as the needs of the role change
- Ensure that staff complete mandatory HR process, examples include Personal Development Review, Security Information Management Training and others.
- Manage the SE development work using the Atlassian JIRA tool, ensuring that key information is consistently recorded including when the task is started, finished, the time taken and the other tasks tag as appropriate to allocate development to projects or services.
- Ensure that the team works in accordance with the IDG ITIL processes including change, incident, service request and problem management
- Manage third parties undertaking development for IDG and ensure that their work integrates with the existing developments
- Manage the team and resources dedicated to the services the post-holder provides (i.e. equipment assets and financial budgets). Ensure that resources are deployed efficiently in order to provide a professional service that complies with current recommended best practice.
- As appropriate for SE services, develop, publish and implement agreed service level agreements, performance metrics and service monitoring resources. Demonstrate performance of the service against such metrics. The post-holder will present the performance metrics to the IDG Service Review Board (SRB) in order to demonstrate that the services are being delivered to an acceptable standard.
Delivery of Development Roadmap
- Lead the development and maintenance of existing and new SE services, work with Product Managers and other to define the content of development releases aligned with the roadmap and release schedule
- Act as the Technical Authority for development undertaken in the SE team
- Ensure that developments by the SE team are consistent with best practices and meet security and operational requirements when deployed.
- Provide technical leadership to the SE development team, coaching members of the team when needed
- Complete code and solution reviews as needed.
- Develop SE development work at an appropriate level to remain proficient and current with the SE toolset
- Align the systems and solutions architecture that underpins the SE solutions with the Architecture and technology choices made by the University Digital Strategy Group. Including the move to cloud delivered infrastructure.
Other duties commensurate with the role and grade
|Knowledge, Skills and Experience|
|Knowledge and Skills||
The University of Warwick has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign; please apply below by submitting a CV & Cover Letter in Word Document format or call Kaye Powell on 07387238343 for a confidential conversation.