This is a strategic leadership role. The Directorate holds the brief for University advancement and provides direct support to the University Executive team. The Interim Director of Marketing and Communications is a member of the University’s strategic leadership team for advancement activities (Strategic Planning, Marketing and Communications, Development and Alumni Relations, International Affairs and Student Recruitment).
The Interim Director will work in collaboration with senior academic and professional colleagues to raise the University’s profile in key markets and support the achievement of its ambitions at a time of significant change and increased competition in higher education.
The University has identified the need for a step change in its marketing and communications in support of its ambitious strategy. At present, marketing and communications resource and budget is widely spread across the University, with insufficient central co-ordination and control.
The central Marketing and Communications Team is being structured around a series of teams, each based on particular expertise and with specific responsibilities and KPIs, with a critical requirement to work collaboratively to deliver pan-University marketing strategies and support individual local plans.
Key results areas:
- Development and delivery of sustainable, integrated long-term strategies for marketing and communications which take forward the achievement of the University’s academic strategy and global ambitions;
- Development of a strategic resourcing plan in support of marketing and communications strategies;
- Delivery against the University’s marketing strategy framework and performance monitoring against University targets, planning priorities and agreed KPIs;
- Management of the University’s staff and non-staff expenditure for marketing and communications to achieve effectiveness and value for money;
- Recruitment, training and career development of all the University’s specialist staff who are engaged in marketing and communications.
Supporting pan-University and local units’ business development, strategic and operational planning;
Provision of professional leadership and direction to Marketing and Communications team;
Delivering services which are fit for purpose and value for money;
Demonstrating continuous improvement and innovation in service delivery;
Representing the University at relevant national and international fora;
Such other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the PVC.
Your written application should provide evidence of the following:
- A track record of senior management within a knowledge-intensive environment;
- Strong professional networks relevant to University marketing and communication operations;
- Knowledge of key current issues within the higher education sector;
- Developing and implementing strategic initiatives;
- Establishing and sustaining a performance management culture;
- Developing effective working relationships at senior management level;
- Effective leadership and motivation of staff;
- Personal and professional credibility and demeanour;
- Exemplary integrity and ethical standards;
- Ability to think strategically and analyse complex issues;
- Energy, resilience and determination;
- Excellent communication and presentational skills appropriate to a variety of audiences;
- Ability to exercise judgement within constrained time-scales and resources in the light of competing pressures;
- Ability to set and maintain a clear direction with highly focused priorities and outcomes;
- Ability to identify and evaluate risks and options and develop risk mitigation strategies.
|Criteria||Essential / Desirable||Tested by|
|At least 3 years’ senior management experience in strategic marketing within a complex organisation||Essential||Application|
|Significant senior management and leadership experience in higher education||Desirable||Application|
|Financial and commercial awareness||Essential||Interview|
|Leading the development and integration of new services or ways of working||Desirable||Interview|
|Experience of managing a substantial budget||Essential||Application|
|A professional marketing qualification||Essential||Application|
|Experience of strategic and financial planning and the preparation of business plans||Essential||Application|
|A successful record of partnership working||Desirable||Interview|
|High-level negotiating and influencing skills||Essential||Interview|
|Ability to manage and effectively prioritise a highly demanding and complex workload||Essential||Interview|
|Ability to lead, motivate and support a large staff team||Essential||Interview|
|Commitment to continuous professional development||Essential||Application|
If you wish to apply for this role, please submit a CV and covering letter directly by email to Chris Boote, SearchHigher Recruitment Executive (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.