To contribute to teaching, and curriculum development in English for Academic Purposes supporting students across all disciplines.
All role holders will have a growing reputation in their field which they will continue to develop. Alongside their primary role of delivering academic English modules, they will contribute to their academic community through scholarly activity, knowledge generation, knowledge exchange, networking, partnerships and collaboration at an institutional, national and international level.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To take responsibility for the development and delivery of teaching, learning and assessment of English for specific academic purposes across Knowledge Hub disciplines, including Design, Media, Engineering & Computing.
- To demonstrate good practice in teaching, learning and assessment through the use of a wide range of learning resources and appropriate pedagogic practice.
- To ensure that teaching is informed by current research in the relevant field and develops the ability of students to engage in debate, critical discourse and rational thinking.
- To contribute to the wider student experience e.g. through personal tutoring, participation in recruitment, and involvement in employability initiatives.
- To reflect critically on personal teaching practice, implement improvements, and engage actively with the quality monitoring and enhancement processes.
- To undertake work with a range of external partners and professional bodies/agencies in Egypt and overseas where appropriate.
- To work effectively as a team member, contributing to committees and working groups, and where appropriate supervising or mentoring other members of staff.
- To undertake professional development in support of both teaching and research.
AND such other duties as are within the scope and spirit of the job purpose, the title of the post and its grading.
Head of School
English for Academic Purposes subject lead
|Education/Qualifications||A good Honours Degree and a Masters degree in Applied Linguistics/TESOL or TEAP, a DELTA, or at a minimum a CELTA.
PhD in an appropriate subject
Detailed understanding and knowledge of academic theory and/or practice in the teaching of English for academic purposes.
|Active membership or fellowship of a professional body (e.g.BALEAP)
Recognised teaching qualification
|Teaching Experience||Some teaching experience at higher education level with evidence of successful student learning outcomes
Experience of assessing EAP at foundation level or equivalent
Or (If from Professional practice background) evidence of high quality presentation skills, and evidence of coaching, or mentoring and teaching other professionals
Willingness to undertake a teaching qualification (if not already qualified)
|Evidence of contribution to the wider student experience
Evidence of good pedagogic practice
Experience with Egyptian and/or international higher educational establishments
|Research||Experience of working on research projects or contracts, supported by evidence of contribution to appropriate output
Or (If from Professional practice background) experience of professional practice/consultancy work including evidence of effective application of solutions to business/practice problems, with associated reports or other outputs
|Experience of partnership working with external organisations
Evidence of contribution to research group or network or community of practice
Recent, relevant, business experience
|Job-related skills and capabilities||Ability to work independently, to take the initiative, and to innovate
Commitment to delivering high quality services to students and external clients
Good organisational skills
Suitable level of proficiency in ICT and understanding of its application to teaching, learning and applied research
Ability to support the development and delivery of professional learning and development programmes and contribute to other commercial activity associated with teaching,
Ability to develop and maintain successful external and internal networks to seed relationships for future business collaborations,
An appreciation of other cultures; the global reach of the University and its International agenda
|Evidence of successful professional networking
Some experience of managing or administering
|Interpersonal Skills||Effective oral and written communication skills in both individual and group situations
Ability to work as a member of a team or group
Ability to relate to students with diverse backgrounds, ages and experience
Ability to relate to a range of external clients and partners of the university from the private/public/voluntary sectors
|Other Requirements||Willingness to undertake academic activities in the evening when necessary, and participate in occasional weekend activities such as recruitment days
A willingness to travel local, nationally and internationally as required to undertake academic and related activities.
Ability to contribute to the development of the curriculum to include international and intercultural experiences
|Experience of living/ working abroad
Competence in more than one language
Knowledge of Arabic
To make an application, please send a CV and Covering Letter tailored to the role to email@example.com. If you wish to speak about the role please call Chris Boote on 02476575004.