Do you have a proven track record of leading and managing a sizeable team of academic / teaching staff, along with a substantial record in teaching? Have you led on quality improvements that have made a difference? Can your experience in this area accelerate development of our undergraduate programmes whilst meeting our quality aspirations?
Underpinned by the breadth, depth and quality of its research, WMG offers a wide range of courses at all levels for full time and part time students, and for company-based personnel from companies such as Airbus, BAE Systems, Dyson, HSE and JLR, resulting in a wide range of delivery to satisfy our broad client base.
The teaching and learning environment is rapidly evolving, with a distinct shift to a greater level of engagement utilising technology enabled learning and innovative lab-based sessions, as well as more traditional lectures. The ability to drive academic quality and standards development in this evolving landscape will be a key component, as well as engaging in some teaching activity when required.
We are looking for someone to provide academic leadership for the Applied Engineering Programme (AEP), who will lead on significant change of curriculum design. This will involve full leadership in improvement of the quality of delivery on undergraduate programmes, developing an engaging curriculum, enhancing the student experience with further innovative approaches, and becoming an approachable lead for all issues relating to course management.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop your own professional profile and work as part of a successful team, leading through a period of significant change.
In return we will provide a great range of benefits which include an attractive pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas closure, some fantastic savings on a wide range of products and services, and excellent learning and development opportunities.
To provide academic leadership for the Applied Engineering Programme (AEP), ensuring effective delivery of the course. To be responsible for the ongoing organisation and management of the AEP Course. To provide leadership in improvement of the quality of delivery on this undergraduate programme. To lead significant changes in curriculum design and delivery methods in preparation for the degree to offered as a apprenticeship with WMG as the provider.
To enhance the students learning experience by identifying and implementing more effective and innovative approaches to learning and teaching. To develop an engaging curriculum that is delivered by an outstanding teaching team, and become an approachable lead for all issues relating to course management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Course leadership and organisation
• Provide ‘academic leadership’ of the course in terms of:
o Redesign of the AEP curriculum and delivery methods in preparation for it to be delivered as a Degree apprenticeship with WMG as the provider, against a suitable apprenticeship standard . Effective delivery of the AEP, ensuring that the teaching team (and in particular module leaders) are properly briefed.
o On-going development of the teaching team.
o Keeping abreast of developments likely to impact on the course (e.g. changes in policy, Professional Body requirements/constraints, QAA audit, Institute for Apprenticeships, apprenticeship standards and the needs of the industrial partners).
o Assist with accreditation of courses with the appropriate professional institutions
• Identify themselves to students early on in the course and ensure, thereafter, that they become a familiar ‘face’ to students as the person responsible for the management of the course.
• Ensure that the course conforms to WMG and UoW requirements.
• Assist in provision of information for room bookings and the management of any subsequent changes in room allocations (in liaison with module organisers).
• Liaise, as necessary, Directors, Deputy Director, Course Directors and Discipline Group Leads to enhance the quality of the student experience and maximise good honours outputs.
• Where appropriate lead modules and deliver lectures, seminars and lab classes
• Act as personal tutor.
• Act as project supervisor.
3. Induction and student support
• Assist in the recruitment of new students, working with the admissions manager and with appropriate business partners.
• Assist, as appropriate, in the organisation and delivery of an appropriate induction programme for new students and returning students.
• Assist other academic colleagues and role holders in WMG in providing pastoral support, as and when appropriate, to students on their course.
4. Assessment & feedback
• Manage marking and moderation allocations and processes.
• Ensure that the assessment strategy is informed by WMG guidance and policy and is designed in such a way that it enables students to demonstrate achievement of published course outcomes.
• Ensure that the feedback strategy is designed in such a way that it builds student learning, skills and confidence. Monitor the quality of feedback provided to students.
5. Quality management and enhancement
• To provide leadership in improvement of the quality of delivery.
• Oversee the annual Course review process
• Ensure that the programme complies with the requirements of a Degree Apprenticeship standard and prepares participants for end point assessments in line with apprenticeship standard and assessment plans. .
• Assist in decisions related to mitigating circumstances.
• Attend the relevant Exam Boards.
• Assist, as appropriate, in the development of papers/evidence for review purposes.
• Assist, as appropriate, in the process of identifying appropriate external examiners.
• Assist external examiners
• Assist in the generation and modification of module and course documentation
6. Effective liaison
• Assist module organisers in maintaining an effective learning environment.
• Respond to, attend and chair, where appropriate, committees within the group and across the university including:
o Undergraduate Executive Committee
o Undergraduate Operations Committee
o TEL Committees
o Other departmental committees
7. To work with other members of the team to conduct research and publish the work, where appropriate, and to develop the team’s profile as required.
HOW TO APPLY
WMG has engaged the services of Search Higher to manage this recruitment. If you wish to apply for this role, please submit a CV and covering letter directly by email to Kaye Matthews , Search Higher Recruitment Manager (email@example.com) as soon as possible.