Job Title: Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
School/Service: Architecture, Computing and Engineering (ACE)
Responsible to: Head of Department of Computer Science & Digital Technologies
Responsible for whom: Academic leadership within the relevant area
Liaison with: University staff and students and staff from external organisations as appropriate
Never Not Moving Forward – Build your career, follow your passion, be inspired by our environment of success #BeTheChange
The University of East London is one of the most diverse and vibrant universities in the global capital. Our pioneering and forward-thinking vision is making a positive and significant impact to the communities we serve, inspiring both our staff and students to reach their full potential.
Born in 1898 to serve the skills needs of the 2nd industrial revolution, the University of East London has commenced Year 3 of its transformational 10-year Vision 2028 strategic plan led by our Vice-Chancellor & President, Professor Amanda Broderick, to advance Industry 4.0 careers-1st education. We have a clear route-map to provide a springboard for the jobs and opportunities of the future; drive diversity in the 4.0 talent pipeline – working in partnership to promote talent wherever it is found; and to create an inclusive and sustainable, green future.
We are looking for forward-thinking, innovative, curious, high-energy, self-aware people who are passionate about making a positive difference and who will thrive in an inclusive and diverse University community who are never not moving forwards.
As one of the most socially inclusive and international Universities and comprising one of the most diverse staff populations in the UK (50% of our professoriate identify from black or minority ethnic backgrounds), we are hugely proud of our track record in reducing inequalities (ranked 1st in the UK & 2nd globally, Times Higher Education Global Impact Rankings, 2020) and our commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion is at the heart of Vision 2028.
We are building an environment of success where colleagues are supported to achieve, and our community can flourish and thrive. We are an accredited Investors in People Award Institution and have achieved the Investors in People Health and Wellbeing Award. With Athena Swan Awards and being one of a small number of Universities to have achieved the Race Equality Charter Award, we continue on our journey to address and reduce barriers to opportunity.
So, if you are looking to build your career in a dynamic, inclusive and performance-focused team and are inspired by our environment and drive for success, we want you to apply to join the University of East London. We are looking for inspirational individuals who have a passion to make a positive difference to people and planet, creating a more sustainable future for everyone.
Across our five subject areas: Computing; Architecture; Art and Design; Engineering, and Construction Transport and Logistics, we have award-winning academics and expert technical and support staff who are committed to giving our students an excellent experience at UEL.
We are passionate about ensuring our students are employment ready on graduation and giving our students a globally-recognised education.”
The purpose of this post is to raise the profile of the Department and School, particularly in impactful applied research in a specific discipline in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (such as Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing), Knowledge Exchange and Academic programmes in the Computer Science & Digital Technologies Department in the School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering. To provide leadership and vision for the future direction of research and teaching in AI in the Department. The post holder will be responsible for leading and developing the School’s work, both in relation to taught courses and also in terms of research, consultancy, knowledge transfer and income generation. As a senior academic leader within the subject field, they will take a leading role in the School’s strategy for the promotion of research, learning and teaching, and employability initiatives. This includes establishing links with businesses, public and third sector organisations. The post holder will contribute to all aspects of the School’s work, including staff development activities, mentoring and supporting the development of early career researchers, joint supervision of PhD students as well as playing a prominent role in obtaining funding for research and knowledge exchange activities in their area of expertise.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To provide strategic leadership to the School’s Computer Science & Digital Technologies Department in terms of teaching and research, with a focus on the delivery of the Strategic Plan of the School in line with the University’s corporate strategy Vision 2028;
• To undertake research, publication and scholarly activities in their area of specialism and contribute to the general research life and activities of the School;
• To contribute to national benchmarking frameworks, including REF and KEF;
• To advise the development, planning and the delivery of new degree and postgraduate courses as required by the Department;
• To contribute to achieving the Departmental and School objectives through active collaboration with other colleagues and clusters in the School and across the University;
• To maintain personal competence and performance through a programme of continuous personal and professional development emerging in part from appraisal by the Head of Department;
• To engage in income generation as appropriate through applications for research grants, consultancy, short courses, and to lead and encourage research and consultancy activity in the given area;
• To work in accordance with UEL’s equality and diversity policies;
• To support staff development, particularly in developing early career researchers;
• To contribute to teaching and assessment of relevant courses and where possible undergraduates, including face-to-face tuition and participation in distance learning programmes. To supervise postgraduate research students and to encourage and to support applications from such students;
• To establish and maintain links at the highest level with professional bodies and business leaders in the UK and abroad and to enhance the reputation of the computing courses and the School;
• To represent the School on various internal and external committees in consultation with the Head of Department and Dean of the School;
• To undertake such reasonable duties as may be requested by senior management of the University and the School.
Health and Safety
• To work in a safe and healthy manner always ensuring statutory and university health and safety requirements are always complied with.
EDUCATION, QUALIFICATIONS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
• PhD in Computer Science or other relevant areas (A)
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
• An outstanding knowledge of the subject area and an ability to lead on the fusion of practice and theory in a specific discipline within Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, such as Deep Learning, Computer Vision, Natural Language Processing (A/I)
• Established international reputation within the field, both in industry and academia (CV)
• An outstanding track record of research & knowledge exchange projects and internationally excellent outputs (CV)
• Record of significant successful research & knowledge exchange grant capture and/or income generation or equivalent (CV)
• Experience of teaching in higher education or training in a professional context (CV)
• Track record in the application of innovative and successful approaches to teaching and learning (A/I)
• Track record of successful PhD supervision as the Director of Studies and other research mentorship activities (A/I)
• Relevant academic and/or professional experience in the UK HE and digital tech sectors (CV)
• Sustained track record of influencing and shaping the direction of educational activity, strategies and policies within the subject area (CV)
• Sustained and successful leadership of major research grants and contracts (CV)
• Experience of knowledge transfer/consultancy (CV)
• Experience of networking and engaging beyond the academic community, with policy makers and the wider public (CV)
• Formed successful research partnerships internally and with external organisations (CV)
• Demonstrated the ability to actively and positively promote their field of research and their institution (CV)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to mentor colleagues and act as a role model (I)
• Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills (A/I)
• Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills (A/I)
• Ability to deliver high quality innovative teaching and learning (A/I)
• Ability to develop and manage major research grant applications to support innovative research (I)
• Ability to communicate academic findings to policy and wider public audiences (I)#
• Can act as an ambassador to raise the University’s profile and increasing its impact and influence (I)
• Commitment to anti-racist practice and ability to champion EDI issues within a diverse and multicultural environment (A/I)
Interview Date: Tuesday 20th July 2021
The University of East London has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign, please apply by sending a CV & Cover Letter in Word Document format to email@example.com or call 07823 524581 for a confidential conversation.