Cranfield defence and security (CDS) invites applications for the position of Professor of Nuclear Studies.
Competitive open band commencing at £66,366 per annum
Closing Date: Midnight, Tuesday, 11th April 2017
Cranfield Defence and Security (CDS) provides unique educational opportunities to the defence and security sectors of both public and private organisations. Based at the UK Defence Academy at Shrivenham in Oxfordshire, CDS is the academic provider to the UK Ministry of Defence for all postgraduate education and training in engineering, science, acquisition, management and leadership.
CDS also provide specialist knowledge to global industry, security and emergency services, military, governments and NGOs. Cranfield Defence and Security is underpinning defence, security development and reform around the world.
Our portfolio includes: defence and security engineering (design, manufacture, mobility, impact, armour, propulsion, aerodynamics, robotics, autonomy), defence chemistry, forensic sciences, weapons systems, digital warfare and cybersecurity, resilience, counter terrorism and organised crime, defence engagement, complex acquisition, defence commercial, simulation, experimentation and analysis, management, leadership and business skills and test and evaluation.
We are seeking an academic with an outstanding record to join our staff as Professor of Nuclear Studies. The person appointed will have an excellent record of teaching, research and publication. He/she will be expected to make a strong contribution and enhance the University’s professional standing, reputation and impact. Candidates will have a PhD in Analysis of Deterrence or other Analytical/Physical Sciences related discipline.
The Professor of Nuclear Studies will be responsible for:
* Forging an active research agenda, aligned with Cranfield’s research strategy and publishing in relevant high quality peer reviewed journals
* Generating bids for research funding to various bodies including research councils, industry and government
* Recruitment to PhD topics in the field of Nuclear Studies
* Identification of new educational requirements and development of solutions to meet these
* The ongoing development and delivery of a range of educational interventions
* Supervision of post graduate students at Masters and Doctoral level
* Lead and maintain internationally competitive research by developing own research programme at the cutting edge of the subject area
* Play a leading role in identifying and securing external funding through research grants and in developing collaborative research and other income generating activities
* Publish research outcomes in high impact international journals and to disseminate the results through conferences and workshops
* Collaborate with both academic partners and user groups to deliver research impact
* Contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of the University
* Provide subject specific and research related expert advice and guidance to strengthen the research environment in the school and University
* Mentor and support research staff and students
* Attract and supervise research students and post-doctoral researchers
* Contribute to curriculum/course development as a senior member of staff
* Deliver inspirational teaching and adopt research informed teaching
* Design and be responsible for the content of specific areas of teaching and learning
* Undertake academic duties to deliver high quality teaching, student learning support and assessment
* Support and comply with the University teaching quality assurance standards and procedures
* To make a contribution to the leadership and management of the School including supporting early career staff and developing new collaborative activities
* To participate in relevant professional/advisory activities
* To undertake external commitments which reflect and enhance the reputation of the University
* To comply with the University’s Health and Safety policy and act as an exemplar
* To conduct line management duties as appropriate, including holding performance development reviews
* A willingness to travel both within the UK and overseas as required
The Ideal Candidate will have subject matter expertise in some or all of the following:
* Influence methods and techniques
* Theory and analysis of deterrence
* Simulation and/or analysis of nuclear warfare and exchanges
* Simulation and analysis of deterrence and its constituent elements
* Nuclear weapon system effectiveness
* Shock and impact
* Simulation of vibration dynamics environments
* Fluid mechanics of internal and external flows
* Radiological and nuclear science
Cranfield defence and security is a unique academic and a global leader for education and transformational research in technology and management. The key ambition for CDS is for the University to be recognised nationally and internationally as the UK’s leading provider of defence and security education and research, with a reputation for high quality, innovative, and relevant delivery.
SearchHigher has been exclusively retained by CDS as the executive search firm for this appointment. For further details including a full comprehensive job description please contact Sarah Brennan firstname.lastname@example.org 02476 575004
For full information about the post and the range of benefits in joining CDS please visit us online at: https://www.searchhigher.com/cranfield/
Applicants should include in their cover letter/CV a statement clearly addressing the selection criteria as outlined in the Person Specification, summaries of evaluations of recent teaching, and details of research activities and publications.