WMG is a vibrant research institution at the University of Warwick. We are seeking a Reader or Associate Professor of Advanced Electrical Machines to lead research on electrical machines and the exciting new opportunities enabled by manufacturing and materials developments, especially in conjunction with our new Winding Centre of Excellence (WCE) at WMG. The Centre, funded as part of the Driving the Electric Revolution initiative, will contain state of the art equipment for the development of next generation electrical machines especially for the electrification of transport. The Centre will develop new processes and apply new materials to machine areas such as novel geometries offered by 3D printing, high voltage insulation, integrated power electronics, radical magnetic materials, and machine testing. The Centre will be open to external partners and is expected to undertake a wide range of collaborative projects with industrial partners. More information on the Centre can be found at https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/wmg/business/deric/wce/
The role is central to the development of the WCE as a world leading research centre in the manufacture of high-performance electrical machines that will meet future development trends for lighter, powerful, and more efficient machines. The Centre sits within the existing Power Electronics Machines and Drives (PEMD) Group and the postholder is also expected to research an integrated approach to the application of machines in drive trains.
The post-holder will develop a portfolio based on the capabilities of the Winding Centre and demonstrate both industrial and academic impact. Building on the existing team, the expectation is that the WCE remains a state-of the art facility with the advance of manufacturing and materials and with a strong engineering capability to ensure industrial impact and alignment. In addition, the supervision of PhD and Masters students is part of the role along with contributions to courses aimed at engineers making the transition from combustion engine vehicles to PEMD-related work.
You will normally hold a PhD in a relevant engineering subject along with a proven record of experience and research in electrical machines. In return we will provide a great range of benefits which include an attractive pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus bank holidays and Christmas closure, some fantastic savings on a wide range of products and services, and excellent learning and development opportunities.
At WMG we are committed to supporting staff to achieve their potential. We currently hold the Athena SWAN Silver Award and the University of Warwick holds an Institutional Silver Award: a national initiative that recognizes the advancement of gender equality, representation, progression and success for all in academia. We are supportive of staff with caring responsibilities including a generous maternity/paternity/adoption/parental leave policy, and onsite childcare facilities. We will consider applications for employment on a part-time or other flexible working basis, even where a position is advertised as full-time, unless there are operational or other objective reasons why it is not possible to do so.
To provide academic leadership in the Winding Centre of Excellence, recently established as part of the Driving the Electric Revolution programme. You will have a leading role in research in the field of advanced electrical machines, exploiting new materials and manufacturing processes, working with WMG’s industrial partners and collaborators. The activity will focus on the development of research themes centred on electrical machines for transport decarbonisation, with a particular emphasis on new materials and manufacturing methods. The post holder will be expected to engage with WMG’s existing academic and industrial collaborators as well as establishing new partnerships including the development of research strategies. You will also be responsible for creating new teaching materials especially for graduate and professional audiences.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Research and scholarship
- To lead and develop a portfolio of collaborative research and teaching activities in the field of electrical machine.
- To contribute to the development of research strategies for the department.
- To supervise PhD/EngD and MSc student projects.
- To publish research outcomes in appropriate refereed journals of international standing, and publish and disseminate the results of research and scholarship in other outlets.
- To engage in external academic activities in accordance with the department’s research strategy and which enhance WMG’s national/international research profile. Such activities may include, for example, delivery of research papers at conferences, membership of committees of academic bodies, external examining, participation in knowledge transfer, development of industrial links and other related activities, and journal editorships.
- To engage actively in the Department’s planning for REF 2027/2028
Teaching and learning
- Engage in teaching at all levels using relevant methods e.g., lectures, seminars, and tutorials.
- Develop and apply teaching techniques especially for graduate and professional audiences.
- Supervise taught Masters students.
- Supervise undergraduate projects.
- Take responsibility for academic duties such as setting and marking module assignments to support high quality teaching.
Administration and other activities
- Contributing to the management of budgets and the development of financial plans.
- To provide leadership for the planning, use and growth of laboratory facilities.
- Contributing to other collegiate activities (including administrative) within WMG and the University.
- Supporting the development of teams and individuals through the appraisal system and by providing advice on personal development.
- Acting as a mentor to peers and colleagues.
To download the full Job Description and Person Specification please click here.
Born in the 60s with a mindset of boldness, imagination and collaboration, the University of Warwick is a world-leading research-intensive university with the highest academic and research standards. We’re one of the world’s top universities, ranked 67th in the world and 10th in the UK*, with 92% of our research assessed to be ‘world leading or internationally excellent’**.
You’ll be joining a diverse, innovative and globally connected community committed to igniting real world progress. Here at Warwick, we offer you opportunities to follow your ambitions as long as you bring the energy and determination to succeed.
*QS World University Rankings 2024
** Research Excellence Framework 2021
How to apply
The University of Warwick has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign. To apply for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter in Word Document below or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org This is your opportunity to showcase how your skills and experience match the person specification and your desire for working in this team at the University of Warwick. If you want to arrange a confidential conversation please contact Kaye Powell on either 07387238343 or email on email@example.com