WMG – University of Warwick, Coventry
Senior Teaching Fellow – Cyber Security
£41,526 – £49,553 pa
Closing Date: 13th April 2021 (We do reserve the right to close this advertisement early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.)
Indefinite- Permanent Post
Can you inspire the next generation of cyber security specialists?
Do you want to combine educational excellence and strong practitioner experience as part of a team delivering cyber security courses of the highest quality to industry, government and to future leaders of the next generation of cyber security professionals?
With significant experience in many facets of the broad field of cyber security, you will also have the ability to develop expertise in aspects of the discipline in which you are currently unfamiliar. You will join an expanding team in the delivery of innovative programmes.
The Cyber Security Centre in WMG is a world-leading research and teaching group, advancing our understanding of the cyber environment and protecting the human experience within it. Our teaching and learning environment develops cyber security practitioners who can think and act coherently. To that end you should expect to be actively promoting student engagement through your enthusiasm for the subject, alongside appropriate use of technology, workshops, and conventional lectures. You will need to demonstrate flexibility to adapt and innovate your approach to teaching and learning to embrace worthwhile change. Independent travel may be required due to teaching at locations that are not readily served by public transport so the availability to travel independently is preferable. Some overseas teaching may also be required. You will also have some opportunity to contribute to current and future research projects.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to share your practitioner experience, develop your own professional profile and work as part of a successful team, making a significant contribution to the development of its teaching and learning activities. In return we will provide a great range of benefits which include an attractive pension scheme, 30 days holiday plus Christmas closure, some fantastic savings on a wide range of products and services, and excellent learning and development opportunities.
At WMG we are committed to supporting staff to achieve their potential. We currently hold the Athena SWAN Bronze Award and the University of Warwick holds an Institutional Silver Award: a national initiative that recognizes the advancement of gender equality, representation, progression and success for all in academia. We are supportive of staff with caring responsibilities including a generous maternity/paternity/adoption/parental leave policy, and onsite childcare facilities. We will consider applications for employment on a part-time or other flexible working basis, even where a position is advertised as full-time, unless there are operational or other objective reasons why it is not possible to do so.
The University of West London has appointed SearchHigher as their recruitment partner for this campaign, please apply below by uploading your CV & Cover Letter or call Chris Boote on 07823524581 or email C.Boote@searchhigher.com for a confidential conversation. Previous applicants need not apply.
To undertake high quality teaching, provide academic leadership and supervise modules in the field of Cyber Security to undergraduate, postgraduate and on specialist industry and government courses. Some requirement to teach overseas is anticipated.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Teaching and Learning Support
- To design teaching materials and deliver teaching in the field of Cyber Security. Teaching activities include lectures, seminars and small group work, including assessment, preparing students for projects, project supervision, marking of presentations and dissertations using appropriate teaching, learning support and assessment methods.
- To supervise research students and student projects up to doctoral level where possible. Set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide timely feedback to students.
- To identify areas where current provision is in need of revision and contribute to continuous improvement of cyber security teaching and learning.
- To contribute to the planning, design and development of objectives and resources.
- To set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide timely and worthwhile feedback to students.
- To be able to differentiate tasks set for different ability levels using the appropriate media.
- Where required act as the leader of an element of study (such as a course, module, programme, etc).
- To challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
Research and Scholarship
- To engage in and apply subject, professional, pedagogic and practitioner research and other scholarly activities and extend, transform and apply knowledge acquired from scholarship to teaching and share excellent practice within the teaching team.
- Where appropriate conduct individual or collaborative scholarly projects.
- To develop and produce learning materials and disseminate the results of scholarly activity.
Administration and Other Activities
- To participate in and develop internal and external networks, for example may contribute to student recruitment, facilitate outreach work and build relationships for future activities.
- To act as a personal tutor and where necessary be responsible for the pastoral care of students within a specified area.
- To undertake specific departmental roles as may be required.
- To engage and attend departmental meetings and to participate, as appropriate, in other committees and working groups within the department, the faculty and the University.
- To participate in relevant professional activities, for example non-teaching CPD.
- Ensure compliance with health and safety in all aspects of work and, where appropriate, undertake risk assessments.
- Where required act as discipline group leader, usually to a limited degree.
POST TITLE: Senior Teaching Fellow (Cyber Security)
The post holder must be able
|ESSENTIAL (E) or
a) Application Form
|1||Honours degree or equivalent (2.1 or above) in a relevant field||E||a, c|
|2||Masters qualification in a relevant field such as cyber security, computer science or engineering, or relevant compensating professional experience||E||a, c|
|3||A proven academic or professional track record in the field of cyber security||E||a, c, d|
|4||A good technical understanding of some areas of cyber security (such as software development, low level computing, networks etc) together with some professional practitioner experience||E||a, c, d|
|5||Possession of a teaching qualification or HEA accreditation, or willingness to complete Warwick APPTE or seek HEA accreditation when in post||E||a, c|
|6||Significant proven experience in designing/delivering teaching materials in a Cyber Security related field||E||a, c, d|
|7||Proven experience of student project supervision and/ or mentoring of professional staff||E||a, c|
|8||Ability to use a range of techniques to adapt to the needs of the learners and familiarity with strategies to promote learning||E||a, c, d|
|9||Experience or a willingness to use e-learning technologies to engage learners||E||a, c|
|10||Understanding of diversity equal opportunities as they may impact on areas of teaching
|11||Ability and willingness to work as a member of a team and contribute positively to a collegial team environment and to be able to work independently||E||a, c|
|12||Good interpersonal skills; the ability to relate well to colleagues and different kinds of students’||E||a, c, d|
|13||Engaged in continuous professional development||E||a, c|
|14||The ability to hold a UK security clearance e.g. SC||E||a, c|
|1||A relevant doctoral qualification||D||a, c|
|2||Understanding of scholarly activity within cyber security education/ general education||D||a, c|
For further information about WMG, please visit our website
We believe there should be no barriers to continuing education, and we strive to ensure that the future workforce has the skills they need to become the UK’s upcoming engineers and inventors.
Our unique approach to undergraduate education enables full-time students, Higher Apprentices, and full-time employees to gain an engineering degree.
Our teaching staff deliver educational programmes not just at Warwick, but internationally, and the knowledge we can leverage from our research excellence enables our students to reach their highest possible standards.
Full details of our range of undergraduate and Degree Apprenticeships can be found via the following link:
If you would like further information about the HEA accreditation or APPTE requirements, these links should help.