The University of Warwick
Senior Teaching Fellow (Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes)
£39,992 – £47,722 pa
Closing date: 10th June 2018
Interview date: 22nd June 2018
Are you an expert in the use of materials within an engineering environment? Can you lead innovation of teaching and learning in this field?
Underpinned by the breadth, depth and quality of its research, WMG offers a wide range of courses at all levels for full time and part time students, and for company-based personnel from companies such as Airbus, BAE Systems, HSE, JLR and Network Rail, resulting in a wide range of delivery to satisfy our broad client base.
With significant experience in the field of engineering materials, and some knowledge of manufacturing processes, you will join a rapidly expanding team in the delivery of innovative Degree Apprenticeship programmes, including the established Applied Engineering Programme and the forthcoming Dyson programme. Flexibility to contribute across other undergraduate and postgraduate programmes would be a distinct advantage, as well as a willingness to contribute to strategic growth of new programmes as required.
The teaching and learning environment is rapidly evolving, with a distinct shift to a greater level of engagement utilising technology enabled learning and lab-based sessions, as well as more traditional lectures. You will need to demonstrate flexibility to adapt and innovate your approach to teaching and learning to embrace this evolution. Some offsite and overseas teaching may also be required.
This is an exciting opportunity for you to develop your own professional profile and work as part of a successful team, contributing to the development of its teaching and learning activities.
WMG has engaged the services of Search Higher to manage this recruitment. If you wish to apply for this role, please just submit a CV and covering letter directly by email to Kaye Matthews, Search Higher Recruitment Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) as soon as possible.
To undertake teaching in the field of engineering materials and manufacturing processes to undergraduate, postgraduate and post-qualification levels. This will include supervision of research students and student projects from undergraduate to doctoral level. There may be some requirement to teach overseas.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- To deliver teaching in the field of engineering materials and manufacturing processes. Teaching activities include lectures, seminars and small group work, including assessment, preparing students for projects, project supervision, marking of presentations and dissertations using appropriate teaching, learning support and assessment methods in order to support the work of the department and develop and enhance its reputation, internally and externally.
- To supervise research students and student projects up to doctoral level. Set, mark and assess work and examinations and provide timely feedback to students.
- To contribute to the planning, design, organisation and development of objectives and materials for courses, which includes identifying areas where current provision is in need of revision or improvement.
- To teach overseas at WMG’s teaching centres or on company premises in the UK, as required.
- To challenge thinking, foster debate and develop the ability of students to engage in critical discourse and rational thinking.
- To participate in and develop internal and external networks, contribute to student recruitment, secure student placements, facilitate outreach work and contribute to the identification of sources of funding and the process of securing funds for scholarly activities.
- To undertake any other duties, such as administration, as required.
POST TITLE: Senior Teaching Fellow (Engineering Materials and Manufacturing Processes)
The post-holder must be able
|ESSENTIAL (E) or
a) Application Form
|A bachelor degree (2:1) and/or postgraduate qualification or equivalent in a relevant engineering area||E||a, c|
|A proven academic or professional track record in the field of engineering materials||E||a, c, d|
|Background and knowledge of advanced engineering materials and applications, ideally gained within an industrial context||E||a, c, d|
|An understanding of the interaction between the design and manufacturing processes and the ability to understand and convey the impact of material selection on the manufacturing process||E||a, c, d|
|High level of self-motivation and flexibility||E||a, c|
|High level of interpersonal and written and oral communication skills||E||a, c, d|
|Ability to use a range of delivery techniques to enthuse and engage students and familiarity with strategies to promote learning||E||a, c, d|
|Experience or ability in design, development and delivery of teaching materials and programmes, including multimedia and online materials||E||a, c|
|Ability to work as a part of a team||E||a, c|
|Strong IT skills / computer literacy knowledge and experience of standard software packages||E||a, c|
|Understanding of equal opportunity issues as they may impact on areas of teaching||E||a, c|
|A relevant doctoral or international management/business qualification||D||a, c|
|Practical experience in the assessment and analysis of the engineering failure mechanisms||D||a, c|
|Ability to keep abreast of new developments in the subjects or modules taught, by engaging and maintaining a research interest in the pedagogical development in conjunction with WMG research teams||D||a, c|
For further information about WMG, please visit our website
We believe there should be no barriers to continuing education, and we strive to ensure that the future workforce has the skills they need to become the UK’s upcoming engineers and inventors.
Our unique approach to undergraduate education enables full-time students, Higher Apprentices, and full-time employees to gain an engineering degree.
Our teaching staff deliver educational programmes not just at Warwick, but internationally, and the knowledge we can leverage from our research excellence enables our students to reach their highest possible standards.
Full details of our range of undergraduate and Degree Apprenticeships can be found via the following link: